Thursday, May 12, 2016

My Lighthouse

Why do I need a lighthouse?

Lighthouses mark dangerous coastlines, hazards in the water, and safe entries to harbors. Although they are not as common in modern times with the widespread use of electronic navigation, they still function as navigational aids, showing the pilot of a ship both areas of danger and places of safety. For hundreds, even thousands of years, they have kept safe those who paid attention to them.

Lighthouses are most useful in unfamiliar territory, or when conditions are less than favorable, such as foul weather. In fog, in a storm, or on unfamiliar waters, the beacon of a lighthouse shows the way.

That's why I need a lighthouse. In this journey of mine called life, I often find myself in unfamiliar waters, and all too frequently encounter foul weather. I need something to guide me away from danger, and to safe harbors.

Dangerous coastlines.

We've seen images of a lighthouse sitting atop a cliff jutting out into the water. It's purpose is to mark that irregularity in the coastline which a ship may otherwise find the hard way.

I've encountered those in my life. Situations and circumstances that jump out quicker than they should, threatening to sink me. Opportunities that seem so good that, without my lighthouse, I wouldn't realize they are too good to be true. Invitations to partake in a part of life that, without my lighthouse, would crush my ship. Outstretched hands which seem welcoming and safe, but in fact are hard and cruel

My lighthouse steers me clear of them all.

Hazards in the water.

These are the stuff of a mariner's worst dreams. Shallow shoals, dangerous reefs, hidden rocks. They lay just below the surface, waiting to rip to pieces the hull of the unwary.

To me, these are the temptations in life. The waters that look so inviting, so promising, so smooth when in fact they hide the instruments of death. These are greed, lust, pride, envy, hatred, and a thousand others. They are sneaky, hidden, and if encountered unprepared, terribly destructive. A ship run aground on such a hazard will be beat to pieces by the power of the waves, if it doesn't sink first.

My lighthouse shows me such dangerous waters, that they may be avoided.

Safe harbors.

In a storm, nothing is more welcoming than a safe harbor. A place out of the wind and waves. A dock where my ship can be safely secured, restocked, and refurbished. A place of rest. A place of security.

This is the arms of God. During the storms of my life, I've only felt secure when in the presence of God. I've felt this when surrounded by other Christians supporting me as I struggle. I've experienced this in quiet times of prayer and meditation. I've felt God come to me when I've simply opened my soul and cried out to Him.

Each time, it was my lighthouse who showed me the way. It was Him who pointed me to the safe harbor God had prepared for me, for just the right time. It's always Him who leads me to safety.

My lighthouse is the Holy Spirit.

That presence of God, the very being of God, dwelling within me. When I listen, He points the way. He shows me the dangerous coastlines, He points out the hazards ahead, and He, only He, leads me to safe harbors.

God is my Father. Jesus is my Savior. The Holy Spirit is my lighthouse.

With God leading me, of what should I be afraid?

No comments:

Post a Comment