Monday, May 23, 2016

Are We Fully Committed?

The point of no return.

I've never jumped out of an airplane, and unless God has different plans, I don't think I ever will. It's one of those things you can't change your mind about half way. Once you reach the point of no return, that's it. You're committed. There's no going back.

Following Jesus is, or at least should be, in some ways, like that. When we accept Jesus Christ, when we are saved and born again, we become a new creation. As Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" 

That is a point of no return. When you are created anew, when the old has gone and the new has come, there's no going back. You're committed.

That's radical thinking.

Our small group has been studying the book Radical, by David Platt. It is, for sure, a fitting title. Platt talks about living a life for God, and only for God. He discusses living in such a way that, once you get started, there's no turning back.

He talks about being committed.

I can't tell you I live the life he describes, and even he, in the book, says he doesn't have it all figured out. What I can tell you is that he made me think. Am I living my life in such a way that there is no going back? Have I reached the point of no return, where I couldn't go back to my old life even if I wanted?

Am I committed?

Don't compare yourself to others.

That's one conclusion our group reached during our discussions. Total commitment to Christ looks different for different people. What do I mean? Our group consists of a youth pastor, a young missionary couple on furlough from Africa, an insurance broker, a nurse, two real estate agents, an insurance agent, a nurse, a physical therapist, two office managers, a corrections officer working in a prison, two stay at home moms, a guidance counselor, an engineering supervisor in a factory setting, and a police officer.

That's quite a variety! Each of us is at a different stage in our walk with Christ, and for every one of us, total commitment to Him looks different. Each of us have different resources with which to serve, from time, to talents, to finances. Each of us has a different calling from God, and each of us is uniquely equipped to answer that call.

We cannot gauge our level of commitment based on what somewhat else is doing, or vice-versa. Being committed, and obedient, to God means doing what He intends for you to do, not someone else. My missionary friend told me that just because he's serving in Africa doesn't mean he's any more committed to Christ than someone who serves in their home community. It's not about what you do, it's about how, and how well, you do what God has called you to do.

Ask yourself if you are all in.

That's how you know if you are committed. Have you passed the point of no return, where your new life and the old are no longer compatible? Have you left behind the old and embraced the new? Are you living to please yourself, or God? Who is in control of your life--you, or the Holy Spirit?

There are a lot of ways to ask the question, but what it comes down to is this: Are you committed to Christ? Are you all in, or are you holding back some chips from the pot, just in case this hand doesn't pan out?

If we are following Christ, truly and fully committed to Him, we don't hold anything back. No part of our lives are untouched by His hand and Spirit. We are so different from what we used to be that we don't fit in back there anymore. We've passed the point of no return. We couldn't go back if we tried.

The greatest part is . . .

I've talked to people who have, for different reasons, jumped out of airplanes. You know what most of them said? I felt like I was flying.

Once they convinced themselves to jump, they experienced a freedom unlike any other.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from there. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree I could not sky dive.I really enjoy your blog's jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has made me rethink a few things in my life and I thank you for that. Keep up the good work. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rethinking life is a good thing, as long as we do so with Christ in the center.

      God bless!

      Delete