Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Just Do It . . . For The Right Reasons

What should I do?

How often do you face that dilemma in life? I face it every day. One day its a small decision, the next a monumental choice that has far reaching repercussions. Should I make that phone call or not? What should I say? Is this the right job for me? Relationships, money management, kids, time, and even what I'm going to wear in the morning--the decisions are endless.

I've come to the conclusion there is not a "right" answer or a "wrong" answer for every situation we face. At least not in God's eyes. I don't think He really cares if we wear plaid with stripes (though my wife certainly does!), nor do I think He agonizes over our decision to choose between two equally good job opportunities.

I don't think the decisions themselves are what God is concerned about. Now, don't get all flustered at that. Stay with me, and I think we can come to an agreement here.

I think we're asking the wrong question.

I don't think we should ask ourselves, "What should I do?" I believe the more important question is, Why am I doing it?" 

Why am I pursuing that promotion? Why do I want to wear that tight fitting outfit instead of the baggy sweatshirt? Why am I going to call that person, or not pick up the phone?

If I want the promotion to better provide for my family, that's not wrong. If I want the power, attention, and pride-satisfying accomplishment of climbing the corporate ladder, on the other hand, I'd better take a step back and think about it.

Good choices are not so much about what we do, but rather why.

It is really hard to make the wrong choice when you honestly pass the decision making process through the filter of do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus. Imagine if every word you said, every thing you did, and every thought you formed first had to meet that standard. How many bad choices do you think you'd make?

Not very many, I'd say.

I truly believe our wrong choices, our sins, come about when we get our motivations and priorities screwed up. Put yourself first and you will drive the decision making bus off a cliff. Put God first, and you'll keep your ride between the lines.

It really is as simple as that.

Simple, not easy.

If I truly did this all the time, the pile of decisions I make every day would be so much simpler, because the hard part of making a decision is often the question, What's in it for me? Take that out of the equation, and all of the sudden the field of choices is greatly narrowed. Call it dying to self, if you will. When I'm out of the picture, choosing what to do becomes a whole lot easier.

That's simple, not easy. Running a marathon is simple--one step, one mile at a time. Is it easy? I can't say from experience, but those who have done it say not hardly.

The same is true of putting God first. It sounds so simple, but it's awfully hard to do.

What to do, what to do?

I think the answer is just do it, but do it for the right reasons. Whatever it is, if done in the name of the Lord, for His glory, and with thanks to God, it will be the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment