Monday, March 7, 2016

God's Talking--Are You Listening?

God's not listening.

Ever feel that way? Have you felt like it didn't matter how much you pray, God's not going to answer? In those times when you most want to hear Him, do you get mad because He seems distant, uncaring, silent? Are you frustrated because He doesn't answer? Do you think He's not listening?

He is.

But are you?

God does hear, and His answers are probably clearer than we think.

When I pray for guidance from God, I'll often ask Him to make the right choice clear. I'll ask Him to clearly show what He would have me do (because I'm fairly dense and often need a picture to get the message). That's probably not necessary.

See, I don't think God is shy about telling us what He wants us to do. Nor do I think He's hesitant to make clear His intentions or desires. I don't believe God is at all detached and uncaring, or lacks the confidence to tell us exactly what He thinks we should do.

I'm not at all sure, however, that we always want to hear it. In fact, I know I don't.

I've asked for things that, as it turns out, were not in God's plan. I prayed for God's will to be done, and asked Him to show me what He wanted to happen. I then turned a blind eye and deaf ear to every answer except the one I was looking for.

As a result, I never heard a thing.

Communication is a two way street.

If you send someone a text, and they call you instead of responding by text, does that mean they didn't answer? If you message someone on Facebook, and they respond by email, did they ignore you? If you ask someone a question and they simply nod their head, did they not respond?

My point is, God doesn't always speak the way we want or expect. I'd love for God to answer me out loud. That'd be a whole lot easier! That's not how God has worked in my life, however. God uses different forms of communication. It's up to me to pay attention and hear Him, however He speaks.

All of creation is at God's disposal to use. Why do we have Facebook, Twitter, Snap-Chat and Google+ in addition to text and phone? Because each is specially suited for certain times and uses.

 I think that's how it works for God, too. Sometimes the best way for Him to communicate is through His Word. Other times, He might use another person. Maybe a dream, a thought, a feeling. We speak of God opening and closing doors of opportunity, and that's a way He speaks as well.

The world and everything in it is in God's hands to communicate with us. He speaks all the time.

Are we listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment