Tuesday, December 15, 2015

You Are Never Too Lost To Find God




Have you ever been lost?

Whether out in the woods, driving through the country, or even in an unfamiliar part of a city, getting lost isn't hard. No matter if you are just "turned around," or out-and-out I don't have the foggiest idea where I am, it's an uncomfortable feeling. Either nothing looks familiar, or everything starts to look the same. You find yourself going in circles. Panic starts to set in.

It's not fun.

Survival experts say the best thing to do when lost (out in the wilderness) is to stop. Look around for something familiar. Take a compass reading and look at your map or GPS (providing you have those with you). Do not move until you are sure where you are, and which direction you need to go. If you can't determine those two things, don't move at all. Stay right where you are until a rescue party comes to get you.

Easier said than done.

I use that phrase a lot, because it is so true. I've been lost before. Not horribly, can't-find-my-way-back lost, but certainly turned around. When I realized I didn't know where I was, my first impulse was to just keep going. I didn't know which direction to go for sure. All I knew was nothing was familiar, and I wanted to get out of there. Fast.

Big mistake.

I ended up wandering farther away from where I wanted, and needed, to be. It wasn't until I stopped, took a deep breath, and really looked around that I got my bearings. The whole ordeal lasted less than an hour, but it certainly seemed longer. In those long minutes, I had thoughts of everything from Grizzly Adams to the Donner Party.

A little dramatic? Probably. But being lost is like that.

Anybody can get lost.

Whether boating, hiking, driving, or flying, anybody can lose their bearings. It usually happens when you stop paying attention to what you're doing, and get distracted. That's when you wander off course.

So it is with life. We start paying too much attention to the flowers, or the wildlife, or the storm clouds, or whatever, and pretty soon we're in the middle of spiritual nowhere. One thing I can tell you for sure, getting lost in life is a whole lot worse than getting lost in the woods.

I know. I've done both.

Thankfully, we're never too lost for God.

Some have been lost all their lives, never having found God. Others found Him, then wandered away. Either way, no one is too lost to find their way. God promises that if you seek Him, you will find Him. Either for the first time or the hundredth, He's always there.

It doesn't matter where you are, or where you've been. All that really matters is where you're going. Being lost is hell, figuratively and literally. Thankfully, it's not that hard to find God. His signs are all around us.

All we have to do is stop and look.



No comments:

Post a Comment