Thursday, December 17, 2015

I Find Rest in Hope




Do you ever get tired?

I don't mean not enough sleep tired, or ran a 5k tired. I mean really tired.Worn, weary, and washed out, when even coffee doesn't do the trick.

For me, that's when my spirit is tired. My soul. Weary from the battles I fight every day, some here, and some in the spiritual world of which I'm only dimly aware. Battles not against flesh and blood, but against power and principalities, as Paul said in Ephesians 6.

Battle fatigue. That's what I call it. I cannot claim the honor of being a veteran, but we are all in the midst of a war. Satan attacks every day. It's a war of attrition. He's hoping to wear us down until we give up.

Sometimes I'm tempted to do just that.

That's when I have to rest.


I think David was tired when he wrote Psalm 62. He had been assaulted over and over by men trying to topple him from his lofty place. He was worn down by lies, by flattering lips backed by deceitful hearts. He was attacked, extorted, cursed, and ganged up on. David was battle weary.

That's when he turned to God. He understood that only in God could his soul find rest. His rock. His salvation. His fortress. His refuge.

I, too, have learned to seek the rest that only God can give when my soul faints from exhaustion. I seek Him in His word. I seek Him in prayer. I curl up in His lap in meditation and just soak up what He has to offer.

Safety. Security. Hope.

And blessed, blessed rest.

2 comments:

  1. Bill - Love the topic of RESTING. Praying for your ministry. Bob Coker

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ScrXjM0KCbzoC9GoBHNuBWyEgwAAdtJnn6H83yhkPo/edit?usp=sharing&authkey=COugudsK

    ReplyDelete