Thursday, December 31, 2015

A New Heart

Hard-hearted.

This is how Ezekiel 36:26 ends: I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." 

These are the words of God given to the house of Israel through His prophet Ezekiel. Why did they need new hearts? We find an answer a few verses later in Ezekiel 36:31. The people of Israel needed new hearts because their ways were evil, deeds wicked, and practices detestable. They were sinners. Hard-hearted.

So are we.

I don't need to tell you.

We know. We all know, even if we're not willing to admit it. Even those who refuse to acknowledge God recognize there exists a standard of perfection from which we all fall short. We're selfish, greedy, and hateful. We lie, steal, and cheat. We commit adultery, idolatry, and immorality.

Our ways are evil, deeds wicked, and practices detestable. Just like those people of old.

We need new hearts.

As you read Ezekiel chapter 36, there is an interesting twist that is not often brought out. It is found explicitly in verses 22 and 32. Stop now and read  the whole chapter, or at least those two verses. Go ahead, this blog will be here when you get done.

 Do you see it? God's promise to give them new hearts and everything else He speaks of is not for their sake, but His own.

Why? Because they had defiled and profaned His name, and God wanted the nations to see Him for who He truly is.

Wow.

What does that mean for us?

By us, I mean Christians. I know we are made into new creations and receive the Holy Spirit when we accept Jesus Christ, and in fact that will be the topic of my next blog. Still yet, I believe there is further application for even those of us who believe.

What if we, like David in Psalm 51:10, need to pray, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. What if we need this, not for our sake, but for the sake of the holy name of God and Jesus Christ? What if we have hearts of stone. What if we have defiled and profaned His name? 

Maybe it means we need a new heart.

I'm not talking about being saved again. I don't adhere to that belief; I believe we are saved once for eternity. I'm talking about, like David, realizing that my heart has become impure and my spirit less than steadfast. I'm talking about God opening my eyes and refreshing my soul. I'm talking about the realization that I'm not always the poster child for Christianity, and sometimes my words, thoughts, and deeds don't lift Christ up, but rather tarnish His name.

There are times when I need a new heart for the lost, the broken, the misguided. My heart needs to be softened for the poor, the sick, the weary. My spirit needs renewed to see God, His Son, His mercies. It's not my soul that's in danger, but rather the souls of those who see me as a representative of Christ. If they see a heart of stone in me, what do they think of Him? 

A new year is coming.

It's a time to reflect, evaluate, plan, and hope. What better time to ask God to shatter our stony hearts, renew our spirits, and truly lift up His name!


No comments:

Post a Comment