Monday, December 28, 2015

The Fullness Of Joy

Does that mean I have to smile?

I am not an outgoing, happy-go-lucky, smile on my face all the time extrovert. I don't go gaa-gaa over cute puppies, cry at sappy movies, or jump up and down when my team scores a
goal/run/touchdown. I don't think I've ever been described, by anyone, as radiating joy. 

I am serious. Introspective. Some would say bookish, but I prefer studious. If you were to look at my profile picture, that is my happy face. Let's just say I'm smiling on the inside, Okay?

Joy is not something that just happens.

If it were, Paul would not have to instruct us to be joyful. Oh sure, we are naturally going to be full of joy when life is going well. At our weddings, the births of our children, when the Cubs win the World Series (you'll probably have to smile from heaven on that one). Joy comes easily then.

One of the words in the passage above, however, should bring us pause. Be joyful always

 Now, it's possible Paul is just exaggerating a little here. Maybe he doesn't mean always. Maybe he means always, when things are going the way we want them. When we are happy. When life is good. The problem is, he clarifies two verses later when he says, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

Oh, and notice that verses 16-18 are all part of the same sentence. Not separated ideas, but one fluid thought. They all go together.

Be joyful always. Give thanks in all circumstances. Sounds like the first chapter of the book of James. Or the words of Jesus from Matthew 5:11, 12.

That's not going to just happen on its own.

Joy is something you have to do.

If we are to be joyful always, if we are to give thanks in all circumstances, the only conclusion we can come to is that God wants us to be full of joy and thanks in the good times and the bad.  When we get married, and when we struggle 5 years later. When our children are born, and 15 years later when, as teenagers, they cause gray hair. When the Cubs win, and when they, well, do what they do best (sorry, Cub fans are just easy targets!).

Joy is a choice. You decide whether to be joyful or not. Paul says to be joyful, and to give thanks. James says to consider it pure joy when we face trials. That's not going to just happen. That's something you are going to have to do. 

How in the world?

I like what Peter says in I Peter 1:6. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. He is talking about being joyful despite suffering and grief and all kinds of trials. How? You have to go up about three verses and read I Peter 1:3-5.

Did you read it? Do you see it? The answer to joy is right there. I could tell you what it is, but that wouldn't be fair. God wants you to experience His word personally.

If you want the answer, you're going to have to look for yourself.

You'll be glad you did.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment