Friday, November 13, 2015

Your Brother Will Rise Again

We have hope.

As we close the week of Veterans Day, remembering the heroes of our freedom, let us never forget that some have paid the ultimate price. When I speak with those who have served, often times their voice chokes off and gaze grows distant as they remember their fallen brothers. The ugly reality of war is this: Soldiers fall.

As Christians, however, we have a hope that extends far beyond the bonds of death.

Another reality.

While it is true that war claims the lives of many, everyone faces the same reality: Until the return of Jesus Christ, we are all going to die. I say this not to diminish the sacrifice of those who have fallen in battle, nor to whitewash the grief of those they have left behind. I point this out so that our eyes may be opened, not only to the reality of our mortality, but more important, the surety of our eternity.

Unless I see the return of my Lord Jesus Christ before my time comes, I will die, and so will you. No one can escape. Without some hope, some confidence in a life to come, I would face that day with dread and fear.

But I fear not.

The reason I do not fear death is simple. Wherever I fall, there I will not remain. Just as Jesus promised the sister of Lazarus, I will rise again. I do not expect Him to call me from the grave three days later as He did with His friend, but I have absolute confidence that I will rise.

In the meantime, as my body sleeps in this mortal place, my soul will be in heaven with my Father and those who have gone before me.

That being true, what is there to fear?

Your brother will rise again.

What a promise. What an assurance. Your Christian brothers and sisters, no matter when, where, or how they have gone, will rise again. In victory.

Could anyone hope for anything more?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment