Wednesday, November 11, 2015

No Greater Love

He said it, not me.

According to the words of none other than Jesus Christ himself, our veterans have shown the greatest love of all. I know the difference between Veteran's Day and Memorial Day, but as far as I am concerned, every veteran has demonstrated the love of which Jesus speaks. Jesus commanded His disciples, "Love each other as I have loved you (John 15:12). Then He defined the greatest love. Laying down your life for your friends.

Our veterans have laid down their lives.

Jesus died for us. He also laid down His life in other ways. He stepped off His heavenly throne to walk with us. Splendor and glory were traded for the rags of poverty. Power and authority He surrendered to be cursed, spit on, and hung on a cross. Understand this: Jesus gave up more than His body. He gave His all.

 No one joins the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard to get rich. They do not seek fame or fortune for they know from history they are as likely to be greeted with infamy and poverty. Many have been spit on and cursed. And yes, countless have died. For us. They laid down their lives. They gave their all.

How do we say thank you?


Start by saying thank you. Pay attention. When someone mentions military service, thank them. That's more than most people do. You are looking at a person who gave up so much for you; is a word of gratitude too much to ask in return?

I say thank you.

To all the men and women who have served, know that you have my sincerest gratitude. I cannot say that I know what it cost you, but I do know what I gained in return. You have shown me the greatest love. I pray that you feel mine in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment