Friday, February 20, 2015

"My Grace Is Sufficient For You . . ."

2 Corinthians 12:-9 (NIV) To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Paul was taken to heaven. Even he did not know if he was taken in body or spirit, and it didn't matter. He saw things, heard things, "that man is not permitted to tell" (2 Cor. 12:3). It was an awesome experience, one which could easily bring conceit to a man's heart.

To prevent Paul from becoming proud, and thus nullify the message given to him, he was given a thorn in his side. Despite much speculation, we do not know what this thorn was, but it was sufficiently bothersome for him to ask Jesus to take it away, not once, but three times. Jesus' response? "My grace is sufficient for you." In other words, what I have already given you is enough; I'm not giving you this thing you ask for.

We all have thorns. Physical ailments, difficult social situations, temptations . . . the list goes on. And we pray for God to take these thorns from us. Sometimes He does, but other times He does not. Why?

". . . for my power is made perfect in weakness." 

Sometimes we need a thorn. Something that stabs us, causes us pain, reminds us that we are not perfect in and of ourselves. Something that makes us weak. Why? So that His power can be made perfect in our weakness. So that He can work in our lives despite our imperfections. When we are weak, He is strong. When we can't, He can. Our thorns are signs, and reminders, of those truths.

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses . . .

Paul accepted the truth of what Christ told him. There are some thorns which we are meant to bear, to endure, in order to show that Christ can overcome all things.

Do you have a thorn, something which at first appears to be an impediment to your work for Christ? Don't be so sure. It just may be that your thorn is what allows others to see Christ work in you.

2 comments: