Sunday, November 30, 2014

Children of God

I can't wait to grow up!

Remember saying that? As a kid, I had it all figured out. When I grew up, I knew exactly what I was going to do, and how I was going to do it.

No one needed to tell me what life was about. I already knew. I mean, Everything I need to know, I learned in kindergarten. Right?

The problem is . . .

Well, I did grow up (or at least got older). And, no, I didn't know everything. The older I get, the smarter my parents and others with the wisdom of age become. It's not good to track mud through the house. Money doesn't grow on trees. My room won't clean itself.
Who would have thought?

As I grew up, I learned. That is good. But as I grew up, I also forgot many things. That is not good. Let me explain.

I used to think some things just were. The sky was blue. The grass was green. God made the world go round. I couldn't explain these things, and didn't need to. It was the way it was, and I didn't worry about it.

Now? Well, now I have what is called an analytical mind. I want to explore, examine, and explain everything. I want to know how it works, whatever it is. That gets me in trouble.

Like a Child.

I would never choose to return to childhood, were that possible. People look at me funny when I say this is the best time in my life. This year is better than last, and next year looks on track to set a new record. High school was fun. College was a good time. Being unmarried and without children had certain freedoms. None of that was as good as today.

I do wish, however, that I could reclaim that child-like innocence and acceptance. I wish I could simply accept that more things just are, like I did back then. The grass is green because God likes it that way. Sky-blue is God's favorite color. God is in control. I cannot explain everything, no matter how I try.

It's called Faith.

Believing what you cannot explain is one definition of faith. I have come to realize that, as a Christian, acting like a child is sometimes a good thing. I can't throw tantrums, hide my messes under the rug, or leave my dirty clothes laying around. That's not the kind of immaturity I am talking about. But I should accept that some things just are. The Trinity. Jesus as fully God and fully man. The eternal nature of God. These I cannot explain. I don't need to. They are, plain and simple.

What about you?

As a kid, I used to think chocolate milk came from brown cows. Spoiler alert! 
It doesn't.

But some things I believed back then still hold true today. Have you outgrown your child-like faith? I hope not.

Tell me your favorite Faith like a Child story from your youth. I promise not to laugh--too hard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment