Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Be Still




How incredibly hard it is to be still and trust God. Often, we think it sounds great. I mean, who doesn't want to kick back, relax, and let someone else take care of everything. It sounds like a dream come true. Until the time actually comes to do it.

What, exactly, does it mean to be still? The Psalmist describes catastrophic scenes of the earth trembling, the mountains falling, the seas boiling. Nations in uproar, kingdoms failing. Wars. Desolation. In the midst of chaos, we are called to do one thing.

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.

Psalm 46:10. It bears repeating: Be still, and know that I am God. What does it mean to be still? In the face of disaster, amid destruction, despite war and failure, being still 
means . . . being still. Quiet. Calm. Peaceful. Sit back, and trust.

Trust? But God, things are falling apart! My life is a mess! Nothing is going my way. I have problems, I have concerns, I have enemies! You don't get it! I need to do something! Please God, tell me what to do!

Be still, and know that I am God.

No God, really! Everything is falling apart around me! All that I have, all that I know, all that I want is spiraling out of control! Please God . . . please! Help me, God, help me . . .

Be still . . .

Still? Peaceful? Quiet? Everything is going wrong, and you want me to do nothing? You want me to trust? You want me to . . .

Be still.

But . . . I don't know how!

The crux of the problem. The foundation of all our worries. We don't know how, or are unwilling to give our lives over to God. Not that we are not saved. Not that we do not know Jesus Christ. Not that we do not claim Him as our Lord. But do we give everything to Him? Not only our gifts, our abilities, our finances, our time--these things are hard enough. But what about our worries? Our troubles? Our trials?

Of all the things we should want to hand over to God, these would seem to be at the top of the list. We're always telling others that we'd gladly give them this or that burden, this or that problem. Sure, we say that, but do we really mean it? God's hands are open, willing to take all we are willing to give Him. Is there something you keep holding back?

Probably. I know I do. Tomorrow's finances. Stress at work. Conflict with my neighbor, my spouse, my kids. The hard stuff in life. The stuff only I can take care of. 

Oh wait . . .

Be still, and know that I am God . . .

In the deepest darkness, the roaring storm, highest mountains, lowest valleys--He is God. We are to be still, and know Him.

What do you need to give over to God?

Let Him carry your pack for a while, and see how it goes. I know you will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment