Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What Really Matters

What really matters in this life? Is it the job, the spouse, the kids? Or the house, the car, the money? Is it family, friends, others? Is it ourselves?

We've talked about hopes and dreams, the deaths of two friends, birthdays, Mother's Day, and various other topics. We've explored how different experiences make us feel, how we should respond to the good and bad in our lives, and briefly mentioned the role of God.

I want to be clear.

God matters. Jesus Christ matters.

Does that make you uncomfortable?

Good. Because I want to talk to people who don't already accept the truth of that statement. For those of you who already agree with me, praise God! For those of you who do not, read on. Read on out of curiosity or confusion, anxiety or apathy, indulgence or indecision; but read on.

What do I mean when I say Jesus Christ matters? I mean He is the most important thing in your world, whether you know it or not. I do not intend to offend anyone, but this is my belief. In my opinion, regardless of your beliefs, Jesus Christ is more important than anything. Your thinking otherwise doesn't change a thing, just like ignoring the speed limit or not wearing your seat belt doesn't change the law. Just because you don't agree with it, or chose not to follow it, the reality remains.

I know I'm going out on a limb here. One of the purposes of this blog is to build up a group of people who are interested in what I have to say so that when my books get published, people will read them, spread the word, and get other people to read them. I'm going out on a limb because what I have said will offend some. So be it.

And some of you who haven't been around me for a long time might be thinking, "Bill Severt, talking about God? Really?" Yep. I grew up. It took a while, but it happened.

So what is so important about this Jesus Christ anyway, you may ask? Your decision about Him is the one thing, the only thing, that decides what happens to you. We're all going to die, unless Jesus comes back first. Either way, your belief, or disbelief, in Him decides where you end up. Either you accept Jesus Christ died for your sins, in which case you live on (in paradise) in heaven, or you don't accept Him, and you live on (suffering) in the real place called hell.

Don't know how to accept Jesus? It's simple (which is not the same as easy). You know you have done things in your life which are wrong--God calls that sin. The penalty for sin is separation from God, called (spiritual) death in Romans 6:23. The rest of that verse gives us the way out: Jesus. Jesus died on a cross, paying the penalty for our sins. To accept that, you simply--accept it. You admit you have done wrong, understand there is a payment required for your lawbreaking, then accept that Jesus Christ died to make that payment for you. You make this whole deal by talking to God out loud, or in your head--just like you talk to yourself. He hears you either way.

That's the truth in a nutshell. Is there more to it than that? Yes and no. Yes, there is a relationship with God that goes on from there, but that's where you have to start. That's what matters first.

Questions? There is a Contact Me utility on the right hand side of the page. It will send me an email. I'm happy to talk about this with you.

Comments? Feel free to use the Comment box below. Start a conversation about what matters. And if you think there is someone on your Friends list who would like to read this, or needs to read this, share it. I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment