Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Patience

Patience. Whose idea was that? Waiting for something to happen, not knowing if anything is going to happen--not my idea of a good time.

But we have to have patience in this life. Patience with our children, our spouses, our families, our friends . . . and the world in general. We don't always get what we want when we want it. People don't always do what we want them to, when we want them to do it. And God knows the world in general often does not understand my timetable.

Know what I mean? When I want to do something, I want to do it now. I don't want to wait. I don't want to put it off until my kids, my wife, or the world in general is ready. When I'm ready, I'm ready. And that's what matters, right? Uh, no. I know this, but it's hard.

My stories of patience do not always have a happy ending. How many times have I spoken harshly to my children when I thought I had waited for them long enough to do whatever I wanted them to do--instantly? How many times have I childishly pouted when my wife was not ready right now? How many times have I been . . . impatient? Too many.

And you know how many times it has paid off, being impatient, that is? Zero. Zip. Zilch.
Doing so usually just results in waiting longer for what I want, or never getting it at all. And I've tried all the tricks--you know what I mean--harsh words, cold shoulder, folded arms, stomping feet . . . even kicking the lawnmower when it won't start. None of them sped up a single thing. Impatience has never paid off.

But I'm still learning that. I'm learning--often the hard way--to be patient with my children and family. I'm learning to be patient at work. I'm learning to be patient with God. And, so it would seem, I'm a slow learner. I still want what I want, when I want it. But age, maturity, and the school of hard knocks is teaching me. Slowly.

So here I am, waiting for the long weekend. Waiting for a publisher to say yes to my book. Waiting for a revival of the Spirit of God in our church and community. Waiting for life to happen, not at my pace, but His. It's not easy, but it does pay off.

Being patient, and then getting what you have waited for, makes the wait worthwhile. A fulfilled desired undiluted by the bitterness of impatience is so much sweeter. Why, then, do we try to rush everything along? I don't know.

What are you waiting for in your life? Are you waiting patiently, or are you chomping at the bit, stomping your feet, counting the often unknown seconds until it happens? If this is you, like me, try a new way. Try patience.

Like me, you might be surprised by the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment