Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day

Mother's Day. That day we act like we should act every day, honoring those women in our lives--be they mothers, wives, grandmothers, or others--as they deserve. Or at least, we try. Because really, think about it--are they, or you, if you be a mother, ever honored as greatly as deserved? Probably not.

What is a mother? From the outside looking in, meaning that I am not a mother, I would say a mother is one who cares for, nurtures, protects, provides for and, above all else, loves her children. And it never stops. My mother continues to strive to do these things for me, even when I'd rather she not. And her mother does it for her. It is in their nature.

What is it like to be a mother? I can only imagine. It seems to be tremendous work and responsibility, trial and tribulation, sorrow and heartbreak at times. But yet, mothers experience reward, encouragement, joy, and happiness from their children. Even in the failings of those children of all ages, mothers find the positive. I don't know how, but they do.

What would the world be like without mothers? I mean, obviously, it would be empty, right? Without mothers, none of us would be here. But what if God had not created them as He has, with their drive to nurture, protect, and love their children? What would the world look like then? Imagine if the world were made up of men and women who were like me, and most fathers. Did a chill just go down your spine? Mine too.

So how should we honor these women as they deserve to be honored? Did our little cards, perhaps flowers, or, for the particularly fortunate, a few lines of written thanks really honor these women sufficiently? Can we truly give them their just reward in a single day?

Hardly.

As I said before, I am as guilty as anyone and everyone in the laxity of recognizing and acknowledging what my mother and wife do and mean in my life. And, by example, my children are learning that same laxity. I take for granted what these women do for me and mean to me, so my children do the same.

It's shaming, really.

Here's where I take a stand and make a promise that this year will be different. From this day forth, I will never again overlook the contribution of mother or wife.

Yeah, right. Wishful thinking.

Just as I drive a stake in the ground and resolve that never again shall I . . . or that from today forward I will always . . . These are usually empty promises that are forgotten when life gets too busy, too hard, too easy, or just too long. The memory of the promise fades, and pretty soon, it's Mother's Day again and I'm writing about how I've missed the boat.

But, we can be better. I can be better. Not every day will be Mother's Day, but every day I can recognize the mothers in my day. It's not that hard, is it? A thank you, a hug, an I love you. That's not too much to ask. I can do that.

In closing, thank you especially to my mother and my wife, for all you do. And a broader thank you to those other women out there who are mothers as well. You do a great job. A job us men would botch horribly. We couldn't do this life without you.

Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment