Wednesday, April 5, 2017

A Spiritual Check-up

 . . . Train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things . . .               (I Timothy 4:7-8)

Here's the truth--I don't like training. I don't like a 5-day-a-week workout schedule. I don't like regimens, logs, diaries, or journals on what I did or didn't do. I don't like having to do the same thing over and over with infinitesimal improvement day to day or week to week. I do not like being told I can; I do not like it, Sam I Am.

I recently "won" a fitness tracker through work in a, I am sure, totally random drawing from all eligible contestants. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my wellness check-up being--less than than well. Regardless, it's an interesting little gadget. I've worn it a few days and find it intriguing to track my steps, my calories, my sleep, my heart rate and all the other stuff it does. Pretty nifty, really.

Until the new wears off.

Here soon, that little gadget is going to be the bane of my existence. I'm going to get notifications that I'm not getting in enough steps. That my sleep is insufficient. That I didn't exercise enough days this week, or climb enough floors, or earn that Silver Sneaker badge, or whatever it is. It's going to get old. It's going to become training. And that's when that little sucker will suddenly and mysteriously go dead or get lost. Accidentally, of course.

Because I don't like to train! I like to exercise and be active, but on my schedule. If I want to run, or work out, or play soccer or ride my bike or whatever, that's great. But if I don't want to, I don't want to. I don't want to be told I have to, by any one or any thing.

The problem is, if I only do it when I want to, I'll never get any better. Because I don't like to work out regularly. One or twice a week the mood hits me and I go at it. Once or twice a week I feel like I have the time and the motivation simultaneously. That's about it, and that works for me. Except that it doesn't.

Once or twice a week isn't enough. To get myself in shape takes more than that. I know this--I'm a therapist, for goodness sake! I tell people that every day. It just looks different from this side of the fence. So as much as I will grow to hate it, that little contraption on my wrist right now may be just what I need.

All this has got me to thinking--what if I had some kind of godliness fitness tracker? The verses above--I Timothy 4:7-8--came to me as I was figuring out my new toy. Even the Bible says physical training is of some value. It is worthwhile. But it isn't the most important kind of training. Training to be godly is what really matters.

So what would a godliness tracker keep track of? Instead of hours of sleep, it may track minutes of prayer. Instead of minutes of exercise it may track hours of service to God. Instead of floors climbed it may track Bible verses read. Instead of heartbeat, attitude. Instead of calories burnt, words of praise spoken. Not steps taken, but times kneeling.

That's scary. It really is. How many notifications would I get that I was falling behind? How many days would I meet the default goal, let alone a higher standard? How many, Well done, good and faithful servant, messages would I get? My FitBit was proud of me for running last night. What would my godliness tracker say?

And next year, when I go for another annual probing--I mean check-up--what will they find? If I stick to it, my numbers will improve. My health will be the better for it, and all in all, I will be as well. That is of some value. But what about my other check-up? What if I were to be probed a little by God? What would He find?

What would a spiritual wellness checkup look like? My blood pressure was a little high. How is my faith doing? My LDL to HDL cholesterol was just over the precipice of unhealthy--what's my trust in God -vs- trust in the world ratio look like? I'm over-eating. Am I under-worshiping? I don't get enough exercise. Am I training myself to be godly? I consume too much sugar. How about the moral garbage of this world?

Those numbers, too, will only change if I train. If I am diligent. If I work at it not only when I want to, but regularly. Determinedly. Doggedly. That means the days when I'd rather go fishing than prepare for Sunday School, or go to sleep than pray, or watch TV instead of reading God's Word. When I don't feel like writing. When I don't feel like serving. When I don't want to, that's when I really need to.

Then, and only then, will I be ready for my next check-up. Here's the kicker though--I don't get to schedule that one. It'll be a surprise visit from the Great Physician.

I better start training.






No comments:

Post a Comment