Friday, November 11, 2016

To A Veteran


Let me begin by saying thank you.

As I reflect on that eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month, I am humbled. You don't know me, nor I you, and yet here I sit, in freedom and liberty, because of you. Thank you.

Your courage and strength, your determination and grit, your blood, sweat, and tears are not only the purchase price of my freedom and that of this great nation, but also beacons of hope and inspiration. If any person can reflect on what you have given and not draw near to tears with thankfulness, I care not to meet them.

I don't know what you've been through. I cannot pretend to understand either the heights nor the depths you've experienced and explored as you have served. The losses you may have suffered, the sacrifices you have made, the turmoil you knew, and perhaps know even today, are beyond my comprehension. I cannot relate. I can only extend my sincerest gratitude that you, my brother or sister in this great republic, have been willing to do so for me.

That Old Glory still flies, I owe to you. Though that mighty banner has been attacked and reviled, tattered and torn, you stood guard before our most precious symbol with resolve and purpose, and prevailed. That Lady Liberty stands tall, and that for which she stands, is because you rose and answered an honorable call. I can choose how to live because you chose to give your life.

Thank you.

Though it is unlikely that we will ever meet in this life, it is an honor for me to imagine that I may, one day, shake your hand, look you squarely in the eye, and tell you those two little words face to face. I mean them. I want you to know, whatever your role, that your service is so greatly appreciated. We, and I mean me, don't say that enough.

Wherever you are, and wherever you may have been, I pray Godspeed for the rest of your journey, and that His grace and mercy may follow you, wherever your path may lead.

With the deepest thanks and appreciation,

Bill Severt




 

No comments:

Post a Comment