Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Simple Truth


This is an excerpt from the eulogy/message I gave at my Uncle's funeral over the weekend. There is powerful truth here, because it comes from God. It speaks to me; I pray it may speak to you as well.

There is nothing wrong with being simple. In fact, God's Word tells us in Psalm 25:9, He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way. God calls us to be simple. In fact, he tells us that we must come to him with simple faith, like that of a child, if we are to inherit the kingdom of God.

This is an area where so many struggle. All too often those of us who are workers and fixers, who are providers and doers, who see our role as taking care of things and others, struggle to see and accept that there is someone who is willing to take care of us.

We struggle to believe that there is a place prepared for us that was not prepared by our hands, by our efforts. We struggle to grasp that we have a Father who waits to welcome us to a place more magnificent than any we can imagine. A place where there will be forevermore no more suffering, no more pain. A place where God Himself will wipe every tear from our eye and wrap us in His loving, comforting arms. We struggle to accept that there is a way for even me to know eternal peace.

That way, and the only way, is through Jesus Christ. Jesus said this so simply in John 14:6 where we read His words: I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. This simple truth, that there is a way to God, a way to eternal life without fear, or pain, or suffering, is not easy for all to accept, but it is of utmost importance and eternal consequence that we do.

It is sometimes in the later part of our journey, that part that can be so hard, that these matters of God become more obvious. Thanks be to God that He is patient, that He waits for us, to meet us wherever we are. Thanks be to God for this simple, but vitally important reality: Jesus is our Good Shepherd.

It is sometimes in his last months, weeks, or even days that a man comes to peace with his Maker. In the face of a struggle he cannot overcome, a mess he cannot clean up, a time when he needs to be taken care of instead of taking care of others that he comes to God and God comes to him.

I believe a simple man can accept Christ with the simple faith of a child. We who live as or among farmers understand the role of the shepherd, and that gives us some greater clarity as to the role of God. The role of a father who is willing to take time to care.

This is the God of Psalm 23. Listen with me to a comforting word which is so familiar to many of us

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want;
he makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil;
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff,
they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
thou anointest my head with oil,
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
for ever.

This is the word of a God who cares, who takes the time to care. Who's willing to work, 'til the darkest hour if needed, until the work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment