Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Love Your Enemy


Who is my enemy?

In the Parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37), an expert of the law smugly asks Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" The parable that followed is well known today, but I am sure that Pharisee walked away a little less smug than when Jesus started talking.

Jesus' answer as to who our neighbors are is much further-reaching than many would naturally assume. I bet His answer to the question, "Who is my enemy?" would be as well.

When Jesus said, "Love your enemies," I don't think He was talking only about Hatfield and McCoy kind of enemies, or Jew/Gentile, to avoid being anachronistic. As His definition of neighbor for the Jews included the hated Samaritans, I think His definition of enemy would include their brothers and sisters.

You see, I think my enemy is anyone I might not be getting along with at a particular time. That might be an acquaintance, a close friend, or even my wife. If you don't like that idea, just remember that Jesus told a Pharisee that his neighbors included a people group that Jews viewed as sub-human who lived days distant from Jerusalem. What makes you think His definition of enemy would be any less encompassing?

Why love my enemy?

Because God said so!

I could stop there, and be correct, but of course I cannot. Call it beating dead horses, but here's the long version. Our verse is Luke 6:27. Go on down to verse 35 to find the answer to Why should I? Do you see it? Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 

There you go. Jesus knew this command was so hard He gave us an incentive to follow it. Not a negative incentive as in Do not judge, and you will not be judged, but rather a positive one. Love your enemies, and you will be rewarded.

For good measure, Jesus gave us another reason in verse 36. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

 Do you understand Jesus is talking about God being merciful to us? Because before we accepted Christ as our Savior, we were enemies of God. There's a good verse in the Bible that talks about that. If you aren't familiar with it, Google it. (I think it's good for us to search God's Word ourselves for questions we have).

Meanwhile, back at the ranch . . .

Love your enemies and be merciful to them because you were once an enemy of God, and He didn't turn you away. That's a pretty good reason.

How do I love my enemy?

Jesus knew we would ask that question, so He gave us the answer ahead of time. Starting back in Luke 6:27 and going forward, here are some practical examples:

Do good to those who hate you. Wonder what that means? No you don't. You know what it means to do good to someone. We just don't want to do it when we don't want to do it!

Bless those who curse you. Someone tells you to go to hell, tell them how to get to heaven. Greatest blessing you could give anyone, friend or enemy.

Pray for those who mistreat you. Jesus prayed for the men who pounded nails through His hands and feet. Need a better example?

If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. Do not retaliate. Do not strike back. I'm pretty sure Jesus would include verbal attacks here, aren't you?

Jesus goes on, and then sums it all up in verse 31 this way: Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Any questions?

Your enemies may be closer than you think, just as your neighbors are farther away. You're supposed to love them by treating them the way you'd like to be treated.

I told you this whole love topic wasn't going to be easy.

On that note . . .

Tomorrow we are going to look at love from a different angle. I want you to read and pray about Mark 12:28-31, with emphasis on verse 31. What is required before we can love our neighbor? Know the answer? We'll discuss it tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment