Monday, February 15, 2016

Better to Give Than Receive



A whole lot of giving going on.

Depending on your perspective, this past weekend we either enjoyed or endured one of the most popular gift-giving occasions of the year. Valentine's Day is the second most popular card and gift-giving occasion on the calendar, behind only Christmas, with Mother's Day a close third.

That's a whole lot of giving.

How did it make you feel?

If you took part in this giving and receiving bonanza, how did it make you feel? More to the point, which gave you greater joy--getting a gift, or giving one?

I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty here. I believe that most people will honestly say they prefer to give a gift rather than receive one. Sure, getting something from someone as a sign of friendship, love, and affection is nice. It makes us feel good, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But there is something about giving, something that reaches down inside us and gives us a great satisfaction and joy. When we receive a gift, there is a bit of selfishness involved, and we all know being selfish is wrong. When we give, on the other hand, we put ourselves to the side and focus on someone else.

It's freeing. It's pure. It is truly the greater blessing.

Want to feel that more often?

If we feel good when we give, why don't we do it more? I mean, most anything else in life that makes us feel good, we do whenever we get the chance. Why not this?

I think I'll just leave it at that.

May God bless the givers.

For those who give to us all--our military, our pastors, our teachers, members of our law enforcement, and so many more--may God bless you greatly. Your selfless giving is not unnoticed. From the bottom of my heart, I say thank you. 

And to those of you who give me the gift of your support by reading these blogs, making comments, and encouraging me--my sincerest thanks to you as well.

Because while giving is the greater blessing, there is certainly joy in receiving.

That's what I'm going to talk about tomorrow. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment