Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I'm In This World, But I'm Not Of It!

What does that mean, really?

Can I be in the world, but not of the world? At first glance, it sounds a little sketchy. Like jumping into a pool without getting wet. Not likely.

Jesus was in this world in human form, but he was not of the world. He came from heaven. What about us, though? We're from here. Doesn't that mean we are of this world?

What does "of the world" really mean?

When Jesus said He, and we, are not of this world, He meant we do not belong to this world. Like visitors in a foreign land (a description the Bible uses), we are here, but only temporarily.

That's how I interpret this verse. I live in this world, but I don't live for this world. My true hopes, dreams, and ambitions extend far beyond this round rock. Yes, I strive for success just like everyone else. My purpose, however, is not driven by merely earthly goals.

I am storing my treasure in heaven. I work in all things for Christ, no earthly master. I keep my mind on things above, not on earthly things.

Or at least I'm supposed to.

The hard part is, I live here. I am in the world! It's hard to not fall into the trap of being of the world and for the world. It's easy to be worldly. It's hard to be different.

I'm not above it. None of us are. When immersed in the world every single day, it is so tempting to just join the crowd and do what everyone else is doing. It's hard to stay focused.

That's one reason we need Christian fellowship.

A church family. Small groups for learning and socialization. An accountability partner or two. These are all so important to our walk with Christ. I believe it is extremely difficult--almost impossible--to remain in the world but not of it without help.

Yes, Christ helps us. Yes, the Holy Spirit helps us. Yes, God is always with us. God also set up the church for a reason and a purpose. To reach the lost, yes; but also to strengthen and uphold the believers.

If you only live among the worldly, you will most likely become worldly. The old adage of what goes in, comes out.

Be in the world, but not of it.

We're going to live here until Christ calls us home. It's important to realize, though, that this is not our home. I'm an alien, a foreigner, a mere sojourner walking this earth on my way to heaven.

As long as I remember that, I can be in this world, but not of it.






2 comments:

  1. Amen. I feel the same way. But I don't believe ALOT of people really understand what not living for this world means. !!!

    ReplyDelete