Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Hope Is My Anchor

Hope is confident expectation.

So what is it that Christians are so hopeful about? What is it that we confidently expect from God? What is it, really, that is the anchor for our souls, firm and secure?

The most obvious, and most important, answer is Jesus Christ.

He is our hope.

As Christians, followers of Christ, the foundation of everything we believe exists in Him. If He is not who the Bible says He is, then we have no hope. If Christ is not the Son of God, if He is not the Savior of our souls, if He is not our blessed hope, then we have no hope at all.

But He is.

How do I know this? Well, last week we spent several days talking about faith, and I guess that's what it comes down to. Simple faith. Believing in something that I cannot necessarily see, or touch, or measure, but know it exists nonetheless. If you believe, you know what I mean.

I hope in Christ.

I don't mean that in the same way I might say I hope I win the lottery, or I hope no one crosses me today because I'm having one of those days. Those are fancies, wishes, empty desires. There is no confidence in those statements, no expectant desire.

When I say I hope in Christ I mean I believe, I confidently expect His promises to come true. I'm not grasping for one chance in a million. I'm resting secure in my faith. I'm holding on to that anchor, knowing it will hold.

My hope in Christ is the foundation of my life.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment