Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Remembering My Dad

I lost my Dad 6 years ago today. I miss him. A lot.

I miss his wisdom. He knew how to do so many things, how to fix problems and make things work. He was a true jack of all trades, growing up on a farm, hot-rodding cars, working maintenance in a factory. When he didn't know what made something tick, he learned. That was invaluable to me growing up, and is still today.

I miss his friendship. We hunted, fished, cut firewood, played cards (pitch was our game).  We worked together on cars, the house, toys, projects, gizmos and gadgets--everything! We were volunteer firemen together. As I grew older, I realized how close we were. And it was just when I started to really appreciate him that it all came tumbling down.

I miss his advice. I never wanted it for a long time. Then, as it happens, the older I got, the smarter he got. Or so it seemed. I don't know how, but after I was out on my own for a while, he sure seemed to know a lot more than when I was at home. Funny how that is.

I miss all that we were not able to do. He was sick for a long time before we lost him. He saw his grandchildren, but never really got to play with them. I miss the fishing trips I never got to take with him and my son. I miss the soccer games he never got to see. I miss him never reading a book that I wrote.

I don't have any regrets. We did all we could with the time we had. Was it perfect? No. Life never is. Were there hard times, bad memories, hurts? Yes. Always. Do I want to be like him? In a lot of ways, yes. He was a good man. I learned the kind of man I wanted to be, from what he was, and what he wasn't. He knew his faults, told me not to repeat them. I try.

Today I remember. My Dad, my mentor, my friend.

I'll see him again, when my day comes. Until then, I'll remember the time we had.




6 comments:

  1. I remember your dad too, Bill. I took care of him at the hospital. He was pleasant, funny and loved when your mom came in. Your mom took great care of him. Thanks for your tribute to him. He would be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie. We all so much appreciated everyone who took care of him along the way. And I appreciate your love and support still. God bless!

      Delete
  2. Very well said. I can't believe it has been 6 years! Reading your post makes me want to hold on very tightly to my dad. Time is too short. Bless you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy;
      We never realize how short time is until it is gone. That's why it is so important to use our time wisely. Enjoy what we have, embrace those we love so that we have no regrets tomorrow. Thank you for the blessing, and may you and yours enjoy God's blessings as well.

      Delete
  3. Billy, I admire BOTH your parents. I was always in awe of them. Your dad was Smithfield athletic commissioner, who knows how many hours a week, volunteer fireman, scenic drive organizer, your mom was 4H leader, managed the ball park concession stand, canned like crazy, went to school, and together they raised 3 great kids. AMAZING! Chery Ml

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! I have such great memories of growing up! We were blessed to have a bunch of great families who got along so well. Then I knew I had it good. Looking back, I realize it couldn't have been better!

      Delete