Sunday, January 11, 2015

Faith and Trust: Are They One and The Same?


I have faith that God can, but I don't always trust that He will.

I really wish I could say this is a quote from someone else. But it's not. This is something I said. This morning. In church, even.

So my question is, are faith and trust the same thing?

What the Bible says.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

The second part, certain of what we do not see, is not my struggle. I know enough to know that I don't know much. There are many things I do not understand, or cannot see, but I am certain of them. I am certain I have a soul, though neither I nor anyone else (apart from God) can see it. I believe in the Trinity. I cannot see these things, but I am certain of them.

But that first part . . . being sure of what we hope for . . . that's my weakness. As I said this morning, I have faith that God can, but I don't always trust that He will.

Don't get me wrong.

I am not saying I question my faith. I am saved through the grace and mercy of God through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ. I am secure in my salvation. Of this I am certain.

I struggle when it comes to everyday things. I know God can. I know He has the power, the knowledge, the authority. All things are within His abilities. But will He? And, more to the point of my insecurities, why would he?

Because He cares. Because He loves.

Yes, I know. This is the answer. I know it, I just have trouble accepting it. He is so big, why would He care about me?

I know, I know . . . I am His child. I am a co-heir with Christ. He cares because He loves me as Father. I know these things.
But . . .

And therein lies the rub.

The ubiquitous, awful but. Sometimes I get stuck on but. But why? But how? But when? But. But. But.

My but is sometimes my anchor (snicker, snicker). The but has to go!

Faith is trust, and trust is faith.

I see it. I know it. I will embrace it. No buts about it!

How about you?

Faith and trust. Tell me your stories. I'd love to hear them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment