Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Saying Goodbye

I had to say Goodbye to a friend this week. It was one of those bitter-sweet times when you are grateful the suffering is over, but sad your time together here on earth has come to an end. Goodbyes are hard.

I've had to say Goodbye many times--Dad, Grandpa, friends. Those were goodbyes required when the earthly journey of someone in my life came to an end. As a Christian, I know many of those were, "Goodbye, until . . ." But, I also believe some of them were, "Goodbye . . . forever." Those are hard.

Besides the people I have known who have passed from this life to the next, the dreaded Goodbye has been required many times. Goodbye to friends who have moved away. Goodbye to time when obligation calls. Goodbye to dreams whose day has come and gone.

Goodbye is rarely easy.

But . . .

Goodbye can be good.

It's a matter of perspective.

Goodbye can leave room for Hello. How? Let me show you.

I'll never have another Dad, but in his absence I've had the great privilege of men in my life willing to be my mentors. Friends will never be replaced, but new friends will be made. Dreams lost will be mourned, but dreams anew bring ambition and hope.

Sometimes we have to say Goodbye to be able to say Hello to what God wants us to have. This is hard to see, especially when the pain of Goodbye is so close, but often--looking back through the lens of time--we can see His hand at work.




No comments:

Post a Comment