Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Just Breathe

Ever get so caught up in what you are doing that you forget the essential small stuff? Like breathing? Seriously, it happens. I do it, and probably so do you.

As a Physical Therapist, I remind my patients every day to breathe as we go through the various exercises and activities to help them get well. Probably 50 times a day--no exaggeration!--I have to remind them to take a breath. They are so caught up in the task before them they forget one of the most basic necessities of life: Breathing.

While I am also guilty of holding my breath when exercising (practice what you preach!), there are many other times in my life when I overlook the basics in pursuit of some goal. I fail to spend time with my wife because I am too busy doing stuff for her; stuff she would rather I leave for another day. I don't take time to enjoy my kids because I am too busy trying to raise them--when what they really need is simply to spend time with their dad. I miss the boat because I am too busy packing for the journey. Life waits for no man, and opportunities lost are hard-found for another chance.

As with most times in life, I write this at least equally for my own growth as for yours. But I bet there are occasions in your life--just like mine--when you are so focused on what you are doing that you forget what needs to be done. Sometimes we all need to take a step back and . . . simply . . . breathe!

Don't neglect your family because you are too busy trying to earn a living for them, or make the house look nice for them, or . . . the list goes on. Don't neglect your relationship with God because you are too busy doing things for God. Yes--we are all supposed to be doing God's work, but not to the detriment of knowing Him and spending time with Him. Don't forget to breathe because you are too busy trying to do life. It's not going to turn out well.

Want some Scriptures to back that up?  Try these.

Luke 10:38-41

Matthew 6:25

Psalm 39:5

I have left it up to you to look for these passages if you so desire.

Maybe doing so is just what you need to breathe.




No comments:

Post a Comment