Friday, April 18, 2014

Do You Remember?--A Poem

I was thinking of You today, and I wondered:
Your hands, Your feet, Your side--
Do You remember the pain?
When You see the scars,
Does the memory of that pain haunt You?
When I fail, my Lord, does the pain of the spikes come to You?
Do You feel the thorns piercing Your head, the whip striking Your back?
When I lied today, did it hurt You?
Did You feel it, Lord?
Were my words a stripe across Your back, a hammer blow to the spike in Your hand?
When I was angry, did You again hear the curses, the taunts, the rage?
Did You hear me say, "Crucify him!"?
Did I say that today?
When I turned my back on those in need,
Did You taste the vinegar on your lips?
When I held back from You what You have given me,
Did You see me casting lots for Your robes?
Did I pierce Your side with the spear?
A whip, a hammer, a spike, a spear, a crown of thorns--
Did I hold those in my hands today?
Did I?
I am sorry, My Lord, My God, My Savior
Because I did.
I am forgiven because You were forsaken.
My tongue, my thoughts, my wrongful deeds--
They were a whip, a crown of thorns, spikes in your flesh on that day.
But I was wondering, God--
Your hands, Your feet, Your side;
Do You remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment