Thursday, April 30, 2015

I Choose Joy

It happens every day.

I have to make a choice. How am I going to react to this? Whatever this is doesn't matter. I may think this is good, or bad, or neither. This may seem to be a blessing, or trial. This may be exactly what I've hoped for, prayed over, and anticipated, or it may be that very thing I have most dreaded. What this is doesn't matter. What matters is how I respond.

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

Paul gives us this advice in Romans 12:12, and it seems easy enough. Until the bottom falls out, and my universe seems to be spinning out of control. When the world comes crashing down around me, joy seems far away. Patience appears the enemy. Faith is hard. I want to curl up in a ball, gnashing my teeth in anguish. I want to scream in frustration and fear. I feel alone. That's when I have to make a choice.

The hardest for me is choosing joy. When things go badly, I tend to lose heart. I know that I am to be joyful in hope, knowing that my hope is in the Lord. I know that God can do all things, and that He works out all things for the good of those who follow Him. I know this. But yet, I am drawn to the worst case scenario. My mind dwells on the dark and dismal. My soul becomes downcast. That's when I have to choose.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Paul brings his thoughts on the topic to a conclusion with this verse at the end of chapter 12. He has spent some time contrasting a right response with a wrong one. He has told us how to react in times of plenty, and times of need. He has pointed out which reactions are good, and which are evil. In summary he tells us that we have a choice. We can allow evil to overcome good, or we can overcome evil with good. I repeat again, I have to make a choice.

How can we overcome evil with good? He has already told us. Of the many instructions Paul gave us, what I cling to is found in verse 12. Joy in hope. Patience in affliction. Faithfulness in prayer. That's how we face this, no matter what this may be. And, for me at least, it's not natural. But you know what? It works.

The one you feed is the one who wins.

You've probably heard a version of the old story of the two forces which live inside us. One is good, one is evil. Which one will be victorious? The one you feed. If you feed into fear, dismay, worry, and hopelessness, then evil will rise. If, on the other hand, you feed into courage, joy, confidence, and hope, then good will surely overcome. It makes sense, really. Of course it does; it is the truth of God.

I choose joy.

Come what may, I have decided to choose joy. Joy in the hope of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment