Thursday, April 2, 2015

Maundy Thursday--What's That Mean?

I used to to think people were saying, "Monday-Thursday."

When I first heard the phrase Maundy Thursday, that's what I thought. What in the world? That doesn't make any sense! I was ignorant, and it took me a while to do a little research to find out what was going on. Of course, I didn't ask. I'm a man, after all, and that would be like asking for directions, or something equally ridiculous. Like I said, I was ignorant.

What Maundy Thursday really means.

Although there is some disagreement as to exactly how we came about with the phrase, it seems most likely that it comes from the Latin translation of John 13:34. "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"). This is what Christ told His disciples after He had washed their feet. He gave them a new mandatum, a new command: To love one another. Just as He had loved them. How? He washed their feet.

Maundy-Thursday is about loving one another as Christ loves us. How? By serving one another. Some churches observe this new command with symbolic foot-washings. And I cannot disagree with their observances; after all, that's what Christ did. But I think we could go deeper than that.

What did Christ really do?

Yes, He washed the disciples' feet. But, as with most things Christ did, there is more to it than that. In the time of Jesus, washing the feet of a visitor was a servant's duty. And not just any servant, but usually the lowest ranking servant. It was a dirty, smelly job. Not something you would volunteer for. Not something a master would do for those who served him. Ever.

But Christ did. And that's why Peter was reluctant to have Christ wash his feet. He knew it was the job of a servant. If anything, he should be washing Christ's feet, not the other way around! But Jesus had a purpose, as He always does. He intentionally humbled Himself to teach His disciples (including us!) what really being a leader is all about.

And that's the lesson for us.

It wasn't just about washing His disciples' feet. It was about serving. And not just doing something that was easy, or pleasant. The lesson is that we are called to serve one another, even in ways that are unpleasant. Even in ways that are less than dignifying. Even if it means humiliation.

Love through service. That's what Maundy Thursday is all about.

So, who's feet can you wash today? 

1 comment: