Sunday, July 20, 2014

In Debt Up To My Eyeballs

I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. But, thankfully, not in the way we usually think of such things. Let me explain.

I have a friend who is so much better at so many things than I am. Fishing, hunting, sports, and, most pertinently of late, building projects. Because he is so much better at these things than I am, I am always asking him for help and advice. And--weirdly enough--he even invites me to come with him to do fun stuff, and volunteers to help me on whatever I'm doing. It's a strange relationship known as friendship where a tally of who-owes-who-what is not kept.

And man, am I the beneficiary of that!

Were I to have to pay for all the consultations, expert labor, hunting and fishing guide services, and use of equipment (for work and pleasure), I would be thousands of dollars in debt. But he doesn't keep track, and won't let me either. And, if I had done any of these things without his presence, I probably would have been able to "make it work," but nothing would have been done as well, as quickly, or with as much enjoyment. Because he is a perfectionist, even more so when doing work for someone other than himself, every thing is done just right. It's amazing, really, the difference that makes. Something that I could have made work, while painful to look at, he makes work better and makes it aesthetically pleasing. Our most recent project was a privacy fence, mentioned in my last post. Thanks to him, it looks awesome.

But all of this leaves me feeling in debt. He doesn't keep track, but I can't help it. He gives me his absolute best, free of charge, and I have this feeling of obligation that I do not know how to repay. He tells me, "It's nothing," and he means it, but this feeling of indebtedness remains. It is said there are no debts between friends, and my friend personifies that; it's just hard for me to accept.

I don't like to owe anyone anything. I'd rather do things for myself, and not be obligated to anyone else. But I've had to accept that there are some things that I simply cannot do as well myself. That's when I call my friend.

This friendship reminds me a lot of my relationship with Jesus. There are so many things I cannot do myself that I call on Jesus for, and He is always there. And just like my friend, Jesus doesn't keep track of how many times I call on Him, or how much I owe. He responds, He gives, and He shrugs off the question of cost. "I'm glad to help," He says. The same thing my friend says. "It's nothing. Glad to help. Call if you need me. Don't try to do that alone."

Pretty amazing. I'm so very fortunate to have the friends I do, and to count Jesus Christ as one of them. I am forever indebted, but none of them are keeping track.

Now if only I could learn to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment