Thursday, August 20, 2015

I Was Born to . . .

Bruce Springsteen, anyone?

Were you born to run? Not me. I've tried it. A lot. I've never been very good at it, though. Some people seem to be born to run, but me, I fit into a pair of cycling shoes much better. Some run, some swim, some cycle, and some really crazy people do all three in self-induced torture sessions called triathlons. We are not all cut out to do the same, and that's just fine. Everyone is different, with different gifts and abilities.

Do you know yours?

I'm not talking about athletic abilities anymore. I'm talking about spiritual gifts, those abilities which God gives you to serve in His kingdom. Those are much more important. Why? Well, Paul says it this way in I Timothy 5:8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both this life and the life to come. Physical training has some value, but godliness, those matters of the spiritual nature--including spiritual gifts--has value for all things.

So if matters of the spiritual nature have value for all things, and are of greater importance than physical training, should we not know what we are good at? What our gifts are? Yes, I believe we should.

How do I know what my gift is?

Well, what are you good at? That's one clue. Another way to find out is to take one of the many spiritual gift tests which are abundant on the internet. If you have never taken such a test, I encourage it. Even if you think you know what your gifts are, it is good to see it in black and white. If you do not know what God has gifted you with, then by all means, use the tools out there to start exploring.

You can also refer to some Bible references regarding spiritual gifts, including I Corinthians 12:1-11; Romans 12:6-8; and Ephesians 4:11-13. The point of these passages is that everyone has a gift and that each of them is as important and necessary as any other. They are only useful, however, if you use them. To do that in the fullest, you have to recognize what yours is.

We were all born to serve God.

To me, it really is that simple. I was born to serve God. My gifts are teaching and leading. I can do other things, but God has given me special capacities to serve in those two areas. Knowing this, I am able to serve Him better. Since I was born to serve God, I want to know how to do that best. Knowing what tools He has given me is an important element in my efforts.

You, also, were born to serve God, and when you became a Christian (if you have made that most important choice) you also were given an ability or abilities to serve Him. Just to clarify, but not digress, this may or not be the same as a natural gift you were born with. A spiritual gift is given when the Holy Spirit comes to indwell us at salvation. When you were born again, God gave you a gift.

Do you know what it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment