Saturday, May 30, 2015

Getting Away--Good for the Mind, Body, and Soul

Everybody needs to get away sometimes.

Away from work, from home, from stress, and just the dailiness of life. Whatever you do, you need a break every once in a while. It doesn't mean you are lazy, or not committed. It means you get tired, worn out, used up, and need a break. It means you are human.

I really don't like to travel.

Yep. I'm one of those people. A homebody, stick-in-the-mud, boring, stay-cation kind of guy. To me a great vacation means staying at home with nothing planned. That does not mean nothing to do, it just means nothing I have to do. I really enjoy doing projects around the house and yard, as long as I don't have to do them. I enjoy mowing the lawn, but I would enjoy volunteering to mow your lawn more than my own because I don't have to do it. You see, I like freedom, downtime. I like to decide what I'm going to do, and when. Even if it's nothing at all.

But (the inevitable but), there is a big world out there that my wife, children, and (as much as I hate to admit it) I need to experience. I live in a quiet, rural (meaning middle of nowhere), small town. I live in the same county I was born in, and truth be told, I have no intention of ever moving. I like it here. I have often said, when speaking of traveling, that if there were some other place I thought I'd like better than here, I'd go live there. But there isn't that other place (other than heaven). This is where I want to be.

Still, I realize broadening my horizons is a good thing.

As I said above, there is a big world out there and we all need to get a taste of something different every now and then. That does not have to mean traveling the world, although for some it very well may. But it does mean going outside our comfort zones every once in a while. It's important that we stretch ourselves, get out there and do something new, see new things, even (gasp!) meet new people and new kinds of people.

It's always good to come back home.

Getting out is good for me, but secretly, coming home is always the best. I know a lot of people count the days, hours, even minutes of their vacation, dreading that time when they will have to return home. Not me. I've never enjoyed another place so much that I didn't want to leave and come home. Part of that is contentment, and part of it is knowing that nowhere on this earth is paradise--every place has it's downside. Besides--I'm not going to live here forever. I'm just visiting. My true home is a place where once I go, I'll never leave. 

And that will be the greatest homecoming of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment