Saturday, June 21, 2014

Guess What Today Is . . .

June 21. The first day of Summer, the day with the most hours of sunlight. And also our wedding anniversary. The longest day of the year.

Now, you can read that and go a couple of different ways. The first inclination of most, and that probably includes you, is to read those words in a negative connotation. "Oh my goodness," you probably thought, "he's saying his anniversary is the longest day of the year--that's not nice!" Well, it's true; my anniversary is, by daylight hours, the longest day of the year. But, that means it is the day with the most light in it. And light is good, right?

Yes. Light is good. In the Bible, belief in Jesus Christ is described as "light," while disbelief is described as "darkness." Everyone I know enjoys the longer days of Summer, and dreads the short days of Winter. You probably know someone who is afraid of the dark, but do you know anyone who is afraid of light? Probably not.

So. . . even though I often joke that our anniversary is the "longest day of the year," knowing how people will take it, in truth, this day marks the beginning of greater light in my life. Jesus Christ is the brightest light I have, but my wife is certainly next. My family is great, my kids are wonderful, but my wife is a brightly shining light. Without her, I would not be as close to God as I am. That's another story . . . maybe I'll tell you about it sometime. But even apart from that, my life--and I myself--am better for her presence.

17 years ago, my life changed. I knew she was the one on our first date. That was right around Thanksgiving. I proposed New Years, and we married in June. We would have married even earlier, but to avoid family strife, we had to wait for June. Alas, another story for another day . . . And, for the suspicious, our oldest is 13. We were not "in trouble." We were "in love," but more than that, it was just right.

And so it has been for those 17 years. We are still "in love," but more than that, we are right. Right for each other, right for God's plan, right for life. She is right for me and somehow, though I'm not sure why, I am right for her.

Even though it is my anniversary, I cannot go so far as to say that we have had a 17 year honeymoon, or that every day or even every week has been roses and stardust. Life and marriage simply do not work that way. But every year, in all honesty, has been better than the last. I tell people that these are the best days of my life, and I am telling the truth. I often hear that High School, or college, or the "single days" were the best years of someone's life. Not me. Last year was the best year I have ever had, and this year is looking to set a new record. Not because of any one great thing, or lack of any bad events, but simply because life just keeps getting better.

My life continues to brighten year to year, in great part, due to my wife. I really cannot even explain it. Life is not getting easier--the economy, teen and pre-teen children, and my aging body see to that--but it keeps getting better. Some things in life improve with time. I am blessed to say that, for me, life itself is getting better with time, largely because our marriage continues to mature.

For those whom I've made nauseous, gag away. I know what I am saying is against the grain of the world, but that's OK. That's me. And, believe it or not, it's true.

So the longest day of the year is the best day, the day with the most light, the most hours to enjoy the things I love. Such is marriage in my life, and God, I am ever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment